As we mark National Library Week, I wanted to alert you to the following additions in / news from McCain Library:
- We are a test site for new thin client hardware (like a desktop computer but runs a bit faster and has a smaller footprint on the desk, and you need to save files to a personal flash drive). You may experiment with these computers at the lobby stand-up carrel (1), at the first floor carrels along the terrace’s west side (2 – plus a comment box), and at the ground floor circulation desk (1). We hope to place more of them in the library, particularly as SOPHIA catalog look-up stations on Stacks floors later this year. Let us know how you like them and where else you would like to see them available in McCain!
- Some of the less frequently used equipment that was on the ground floor carrels outside the 3 media viewing rooms has been moved, freeing up additional, non-reserved study carrel space in that location.
- At the main floor’s Scottie Research & Rescue Desk, there is a new (recycled) dual monitor facing out from the librarian’s computer, so it is easier for us to show you how to locate the information you are seeking. Come ask a research question in person and test it out! Thanks to our colleagues in ITS and Media Services for partnering with us on these three items.
- Remember the student-decorated cushioned window seat on the second floor landing in the front stairwell. I saw someone reading there yesterday and she looked very comfy!
- The Purple Bikes just had some maintenance on Monday, so enjoy the sunny weather and borrow a bike from the main circulation desk.
- Details about extra library hours for exam time will be announced next week.