Monday’s questions – What was this bell used for, and with what long-time employee is it primarily associated?
This bell was used to call students to meals. In the early days, meals were a much more formal affair, and the doors to the dining hall would be locked once the bell stopped ringing – everyone was expected to be at meals on time.
The bell is primarily associated with Mr. John Flint, who came to work at Agnes Scott in 1910. Several generations of Agnes Scott students remember Mr. Flint as the head waiter who rang this bell to call them for meals, but he was also involved in building and painting several buildings on campus. Mr. Flint “retired” in 1953, at age 70, but continued working at the college for years as a painter and then as receptionist in Dana. He was still working proudly at age 90, and was a favorite of students who had the opportunity to get to know him. Lest We Forget, a 1983 history of Agnes Scott by W. E. McNair has a page dedicated to John Flint. The college hosted a 100th birthday celebration for him in 1983, described in this article from the alumnae magazine about him. John Flint died in 1986, age 102.
This bell can be found displayed, along with photos of John Flint, hundreds of other photos of the campus and students over the years, Agnes Scott’s family Bible and spinning wheel, George Washington Scott’s Civil War cavalry sword, and other Agnes Scott family and college history artifacts, in the Betty Pope Scott Noble ’44 College Heritage Center on the second floor of McCain Library. Visit during open hours Mondays: 2 pm – 3 pm, Tuesdays: 12:30 pm – 3 pm, Wednesdays: 8:30 am – 10 am, Thursdays: 3 pm – 5 pm, Fridays: 12 noon – 1 pm, Saturdays: 10 am – 12 noon.