McCain Library has partnered with various offices on campus (in particular the Center for Student Involvement, Carolyn Cornelison, and her student assistant Jamila Surpris ’17) to revive bicycle loans on campus. When the weather is pleasant, students may borrow a Library Bike to ride around Decatur, to MARTA, to the Farmers’ Market, or wherever you wish to go.
1. Currently, there are five (5) bicycles in working order; we hope to soon have seven (7). Bikes can be searched in SOPHIA by title (“Purple Bike”) to verify availability.
2. Library Bikes are numbered, have metal baskets on the front, and are housed in two places: the bike rack to the left of McCain Library’s front entrance and the bike racks in the rear of the library. Normally, four or more bikes will stay in the front rack with the remainder in the back rack.
3. Current ASC students, staff, and faculty are allowed to check out the bikes for one day.
4. The borrower must complete a “Purple Bike Program Release Form” and only needs to fill out one release form for the current school year.
5. Patrons will be loaned a helmet and a key to the corresponding numbered bike’s lock. Please use caution when riding the bikes (avoid stairs : ) ), lock them up through the front wheel to deter theft, and alert library staff if one needs repairs.
6. A tire pump is also available for short-term loan.
7. Bikes are due back to McCain Library:
Sunday – Thursday by 8 pm (sunset/dark, so we want you to be safe)
Friday–Saturday by 5:30 pm (the library closes at 6:00 pm)
8. Upon return, patrons should lock the bike in its original location/rack, returning the key and helmet to the library’s Circulation Desk.